Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Snappy Little Ride

I wanted to do a little 20 mile time trial type ride before work. Unfortunately my bike had other ideas. The snap in the snappy little ride was my right hand crank arm snapping off under hard acceleration from a stop sign. I was lucky to keep the bike upright and I think I escaped with just a bruise from falling on the top tube. Hopefully the day gets better from here. On the positive side all the cars gave me plenty of room even when I was riding with one leg. Thanks to my in-laws, I didn't have to do the one leg thing all the way home the last 10 miles.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes! Talk about catastrophic failure! Hey, at least you have clips... couldn't kept riding otherwise... I had a pedal's thread go awol last December... had to pedal 5Km away to my LBS with one foot... Ever since, I have a leg bigger than the other :P

gewilli said...

that looks like half of the crank was broken for a while before the second side snapped.

Usually folks aren't quite as lucky as you are when the crank snaps like that. Glad you survived it. So, it begs the question: Do you have the breakage and resulting save recorded on digital celluloid?

Gary Burkholder said...

Wow, that's quite a mech failure! I'm glad you're OK. What kind of crank were you using?

EXPO Racing said...

I knew you were getting stronger!