Thursday, July 24, 2008

Told to Get Out of Dodge

Well Brookfield actually. I reported one of the closest passes I've had in while which happened in Brookfield. Yes the same Brookfield where I've had nothing but trouble. The trouble continues. The officer who took the complaint initially told me he would be citing the driver. He called back the next day to tell me that he would be warning the driver and he was warning me for not being as far to the right as practicable.

When I talked to the Lt. about the incident, I was told that I should find someplace else to ride, that unless I was going the speed limit, I was not allowed in any active traffic lane, and if I continued to shout at drivers as they passed illegally I would be cited for disorderly conduct.
I've got plenty more to say about this situation later.
Jeff

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Don Quixote,

I admire what you're doing, but it's really a lost cause and I'm afraid you will get hurt.

More power to you, though.

Anonymous said...

Jeff I hope you will ask Bob Mionske or another attorney to work with you on this. This situation sounds as if it is against your consitutional rights. Go Jeff go!!! Please speak for all riders who have been treated as less than citizens, unworthy of protection from others. We seek only equal protection under the law.

Anonymous said...

Contact Mionske, there is no way the police can threaten you like this. If their argument is that yelling at other vehicles is disorderly conduct then they would have to cite/warn drivers of motorized vehicles when they shout at one another or, one assumes, honk their horns in non-emergency situations.

Der Geis said...

It sounds to me like the guy you tattled on is a bit connected. City councilman. Retired police officer. Something like that. His authority was able to turn you into the aggressor and prompt the police to threaten you with arrest.

Anonymous said...

Woah. That driver and officer are crazy. I almost never ride that far to the right. Around here (eastern Indiana), anything to the outside of the right tire track is dangerous.

Der Geis said...

No cause is ever lost until people stop fighting for it.

Anonymous said...

Yipes! With oncoming traffic in the next lane, I would not be comfortable riding that far to the right!
I would have been smack dab in the center of the lane until there was a safe gap for following traffic to pass. Simply remove the option of a dangerous and close pass.
ChipSeal, Dallas Texas

Adriel said...

Ditto Chipseal, That is exactly what I was going to say.

The problem is not that you are too far to the left, but that you are too far to the right. It is not safe, and you are begging the motorists to drive to close. Make them pass you like a car. If a long queue fills up behind you, pull over to the shoulder and let them pass. (If you feel safe doing so).

I just found your site and am going to read through it more later when I have time. You can check out my site at http://austincyclingnews.com I am trying to accomplish the same sorts of things that you are, but I do not know if my methods are the same, my goal right now is exposing media FUD wherever I find it.